 Trains / 17158
Re: Waterspout for steamtrains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 16:42:00 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Frank Buiting writes:

Decidedly european, but nifty (double articulation/swivel points on the
spout are not common IS practice IIRC (1), it was usually just a swivel(2)
(if a standpipe) or a boom dropping down from the side of the water tank  )

I have a few pictures in books which I used as examples. I found a picture
of an articulated waterspout online here:
http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0011377/Galerie/Bw/Fotos/402-27.jpg

For your next trick, please build a functional track pan! (3)
3 - an arrangment for gathering water at speed. Long (1/2 mile or more) pans
of water are between the rails on tangent(4) track and scoops are lowered
from the tender to scoop up water while going 30 mph or more. This allowed
crack passenger trains to keep running longer... (why not water the tender
at station stops? Because of the spotting(2) problem, if you have a heavy
train attached, it's much harder to make that precise of a stop without
bunching slack and spilling passenger coffee)

I didn't know this way of taking water existed! I couldn't find pictures
online and my trainbooks don't mention this (then again, my books only
describe European trains...)

-Frank