 Trains / 16838
16837  |  16839
Subject:
BI Portal site re-launches!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.trains, lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 20:27:52 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Well after many many long nights, I have finished the all new BI Portal
site. It adds many new features and now creates a solid foundation for
growth. The new site is basically a live beta, so if you find any errors,
problems or confusing parts, please drop me a line and let me know. In the
really long post below, allow me to introduce the new site. Check it out at:

http://www.bricksonthebrain.com/instructions
(Be sure to scroll through all of the content on each page, there is lots of
good stuff!)

-- New Features --

-> New security/login features that allow for:
    * Simplified link submission
    * Bookmarking of favorite Building Instructions (BI)
    * Ability to add/edit/delete your own building instructions
-> Ability to add thumbnail image to a BI
-> Category based banner buttons (see details below)
-> New Resources area (see details below)

And of course, the existing features still remain:

-> Rank and review Building Instructions
-> View Most Popular and Most Recently Added BIs
-> Browse all instructions by category and sub-categories
-> Search BIs by Keyword
-> Submit Category suggestion

-- Original Submissions and User Accounts --

If you have previously added your own building instruction links to the BI
Portal, a user account has been set up for you, and your data transferred
into that account. In order to login, use the email address you originally
entered, and use the "Forget Password?" form to receive your password via email.

For all new users, simply go through the very lightweight registration
process to become a member. Rest assured, your data is safe with me. I'm not
going to sell it, spam you, or otherwise sully the good name of Bricks on
the Brain!

-- Banner Button Submission --

One of the cool new features I have added is the ability to target a
specific banner button to a particular category of links. For instance, if
you have a space based Web site, and want users who enter the Space category
to come to your site, we now can do that! (Thanks Tim Saupe for the great idea!)

In order to take advantage of that, please check out the submission page at:

http://www.bricksonthebrain.com/instructions/bannerSubmission.cfm

Anyone is welcome to participate, and it is free!

-- Article/How to Submission --

Another great addition to the site is the Resources area. This area will
build out over time, and like the BI Portal itself, is driven off of your
submissions. If you have articles already online that revolve around
building/construction issues, BI best practices, you name it! (And yes, Sun
Yun, this includes you!) Check out the current page at:

http://www.bricksonthebrain.com/instructions/resources

If you have articles you would like to get linked in, or if you have ideas
for future content you would like to create, please check out the submission
page at:

http://www.bricksonthebrain.com/instructions/articleSubmission.cfm

That's about it! More new features will be coming soon, so stay tuned. If
you are interested in seeing a particular feature added, please drop me a
line! And again, if you notice any weird bugs or confusing parts of the
site, please drop me a line or reply to this post.

Jake

---
Jake McKee
LEGO Enthusiast