 Off-Topic / Geek / 3844
Re: BI Portal site re-launches!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 23:59:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Ross Crawford wrote:

You can make the update code simpler by using stored procedures and / or
triggers. You can write a trigger on "insert instruction" to add 1 to the
category count, etc., then whenever a new link is submitted the category
total is always updated correctly.

And once a day, run a script to recalculate all of the counts from
scratch, to make up for any bugs or irregularities or problems that
cause the counts to go bad.

Bugs?? Irregularities????? I've never seen such things! From whence do they
come?

Of course, I've seen many "undocumented features" 8?)

ROSCO