 Trains / 16730
Re: Modular Engine Shed: 99% Bulk
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 16:07:51 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Bryan Kinkel writes:
James,

I really like this. It really shows off what you can do with a couple
handfuls of traditional Lego bricks. It is also a good example of the type
of non-juniorized Train theme buildings that I would love to see Lego
produce again. With a few more detail embellishments, it would make a great
set.

Sharp work.

Thanks.

In a way, I guess LEGO(R)/LEGO Direct(R) is producing non-juniorized "sets"
again.  Showcasing the January 2002 catalog train diorama red/black engine
shed on their website is a nice interactive way to allow folks to realize a
basic brick construction. Embellishments: In fact, they seem to do just that
in showing some nice detail embellishments such as the gray vent/fence,
picnic table, side office shed, and workshop details.  Perhaps LD will
continue to offer such online ideas and grow that section of the web site to
become a more comprehensive online idea book?

For my gray engine shed, I found it a little difficult to try to add detail
embellishments while staying within only those elements offered in bulk.  I
did grab a little bit from the "theme" accessories pack section. The white
2x2 radar dishes that I used for outside street lamps come in a "theme" Life
on Mars Accessory pack #3750.  One can embellish the basic construction with
choice details picked from these "theme" accessory packs.  Just using bulk
brick packs is a nice challenge.

later,
James Mathis