 Trains / 16714
16713  |  16715
Subject:
Modular Engine Shed: 99% Bulk
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 23:30:43 GMT

In an effort to get back to reality, I've tried for a bulk brick building
effort. This construction is still only CAD-based, but it is constrained to
the readily available assortment of bulk pack elements, excepting a few parts.
Even so, I haven't placed a (massive!) S@H order to build this.  I haven't
estimated the cost.  I'm not I want to know.

This is a modular engine shed.  The shell of the building is composed of
basic bulk bricks, plates, slopes, tiles, and arches from the S@H
assortment.  The modules are based on a 16x16 stud footprint.  Enclosure
walls are of the "drop-in" variety, as well is a manually operated up/down
"sliding" train locomotive door.

The MLCad .mpd file for this concept is also available via the above link.

The 16x16 modules can be assembled length-wise to accommodate various
building lengths.  When placed side-by-side for parallel tracks, there are 8
studs between the tracks.  I think this is the proper spacing for parallel
sidings.

I have thought about possibly placing the side-by-side modules in an arch
for a round house.  Note the red brick hinges (obviously not a bulk
element).  However, I'm not sure if this is the proper alignment for a
turntable.

The glass window roof top should be easily removed for access into the garage.

I do understand that there isn't as much room available inside the 16x16
modules for workshop details.  This is pretty much as a simple a design as I
could think of.  Really trying hard not to use any non-bulk elements.

Thanks for checking this out.

later,
James Mathis