 Trains / 16618
Re: No wonder they call it a Bullet train...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 23:52:31 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Trobaugh writes:

I just noticed these pictures a few minutes ago on Brickshelf, James never
seems to run out of good ideas for making good looking trains!

jt

Thanks.  I do wonder when the gravy train will run empty ;-) Just having fun
using pieces I don't have... Virtual models, ick.  I'd rather build with
real bricks, but CAD is a really nice tool to get these models out of my
swelling iching brain and make way for more...er, anyway...
(more below)

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
I was just poking around Brickshelf and noticed that James Mathis is as busy as
ever, although this time he's dabbling in 8 wide again, and with astonishing
results...

Check out his 8 wide Shinkansen:

Now check out this link he provides to real-life pics of the Shinkansen:
http://www.h2.dion.ne.jp/~dajf/byunbyun/gallery/500.htm

Holy Cow-- I never realized how rounded that train really is!  There are a lot
of Shinkansen MOCs out there, but none have come as near that bullet shape as
James' version!

Oh, I don't know about that.  I think the other Shinkansen MOCs hold quite
true to the respective series for which they are modeled to look like.  Not
all of the Shinkansen series are this round along the body of the cars.  I
think this 500 series set is the most extreme.  Plus, I've had to venture
into 8-wide (as you so duely noticed) to get the shape, having the benefit
of using the (relatively) new 4-wide 1/4-cylinder elements.

Also, I don't think I've captured extreme slope of the pointed nose all that
well.  In fact, I think my CAD version may be looking a little more like a
magnetic-levitation train, but with wheels.

Great work, James, and welcome to the dark side (again;-)

-John

Thanks.  It is dark here, isn't.  How do you build in the dark  ;-)

later,
James Mathis