 Trains / 16231
Re: Electronic Control unit for train in 1969
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 20:18:53 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:
New to me.  Sorry if this is re-hash.

Just so interesting to see this electronic whistle-blowing device for
trains.  1969; wow.

Sets 138 and 139.

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/138
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/139

http://library.brickshelf.com/scans/0000/0139/

later,
James Mathis

I "always" loved those early high tech inventions into a Lego theme, but to be
honest: I heard about these trains just 4 years ago too. They seem to have
been really bad sellers (and lots of Co-Afols could buy them even in the
middle of the nineties in some shops). That is the way I got a brandnew 139A
for quite cheap at last.

Try my site for some more infos on these whisle controlled trains.
http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~rbeneke/lego/9v_12v/9v_12v.html#139

The 118 from 1968 has been the first one to be controlled like that. It only
ran forward and stopped again. The 138 could go in both directions and stop
afterwards.

There is still one single piece of ABS in my whole train collection that is
still missing: the whistle of 138. That one was different from 118. It had a
movable pin on the bottom to change the frequence of the whistles tune. And the
bottom was made by yellow plastic. I would offer even 50$ at ebay for that
little Lego piece, but the first two times I saw one that price has been
overstepped by far

Set 118 came with a complete black whistle which is as har to find. I think
lots of kids have abused these whistle for other purposes and they might have
been thrown away as "none-Lego" later....

Regards,

Ben