 Trains / 15449
Re: Max. Track Slope
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 02:59:27 GMT

When I first tried to build my own ramps, I just followed much of the
suggestions mentioned by Ross (way back in 1996!).  Track Designer can help
you out when planning it.  Again, if you follow a 2 plates per rail (2ppr)
grade, you should not have any problems but I generally build mine with a
start of 1ppr for the first eight rails then move to 2ppr. Didn't build much
in the way of ramps last year (working on it) but my 2000 layout was a good
one:

OK, so it was bit of an overkill.

Adr.
"Ross Crawford" <rcrawford@csi.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.trains, Ahui Herrera writes:
I'm working on a new layout and want to have a track line that goes
'underneath' my table like a subway.  Has anyone done something like this
before?  I'm interested to know what the max. slope is that I can have on
the up-ramp before the train (engine and 3-4 cars) will NOT make it up • the
slope.

There's some good info here http://www.ngltc.org/train_depot/inclines.htm

I'm under the assumtion the that down-slope can be as step as the
tracks can handle since this won't put a strain on the engine.  Is this
correct?

Not necessarily. If there's a curve on the slope, or right at the bottom, • the
train will be going too fast to take the turn when it gets to the bottom.

ROSCO