 Trains / 15129
15128  |  15130
Subject:
Future of trains in my mind (was Re: transcript is up)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 07:46:59 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Ahui Herrera writes:

I'm also uploading images of the prize table and a bunch of other stuff.
There are some close ups of the Santa Fe for you train lovers....

-Ahui

The images will take me some time as there are 285 images for a total of
200MB!  I'm uploading them in 12 parts... all in one folder.  The videos
clips I will upload tomorrow.

THANKS for posting that transcript.

Yes, Ahui, thank you so much.  It is great having a written record of these
events.  I have so many great things to say about BricksWest and all of the
people I met there, that it will take some time to get it all out-- but I'll
take this opportunity to say that it was a real pleasure to meet you (and your
wife:-)

Fascinating reading (1) and it must have been a fair bit of work for you to
do all that transcribing. Your effort is much appreciated by this reader
and, I am sure, many others.

1 - even if some of the questions were predictable.... notice how Brad
easily riffed on J2's comments, you'd think he knew what was coming!

Well, Brad does know a thing or two about my 8 wide passion;-)

What I was trying to ask Brad was this: it is obvious that LD has picked up the
slack in the trains theme over the last year (and rather impressively I might
add).  But even for all that Brad has done, the actual risk and investment by
TLC has been to this point minimal.  I mean, *we* all knew that well detailed
train models would and will sell well.  Now, Brad *did* take the risk to
release some to prove it, but in terms of capital outlay, it was a rather safe
bet (as opposed to the investment it would take to create dozens of new molds
for train-specific parts).

What I was asking Brad was at what point would Billund be satisfied that the
trains theme is popular enough to warrant a *major* theme overhaul which would
entail this kind of investment.  He did indicate that they were "looking" at
some things such as the curve radius issue, so maybe that point is near....

I must say that I was gratified to hear his story about his conversation with
Kjeld about 8 wides-- seems Kjeld is an 8 wide fan! {:^D  But for all of the
ranting I do about 8 wide, I just want to set the record straight about how I
feel about 8 wide-- although there is some good-natured ribbing about the 6 vs
8 wide "debate" going on, I do not advocate TLC to ever replace their current
scale with 8 wide.  LEGO trains are toys, and they are intended for kids.  I
really believe that the current state of the 9 volt system is *perfect* as it
is-- curves, points, and all.  It is an ingeniously designed system, and works
amazingly well.  It really is an engineering marvel.

Because it is such a wonderful system, we as adults like to play with it and
inevitably push the limits of the system in the process-- building 8 wide for
added realism, utilizing Mindstorms for added automation, for instance.  But
just because the system has limitations doesn't mean that TLC should go
changing it IMO.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  So what *would* I like to
see TLC do with trains?

As far as the current system goes, not much.  The one thing I'd like see TLC do
if they ever *do* create new train parts is to split them (where necessary) in
order to not lock them into a particular width (such as for windshields and
nose pieces, for example).  Heck, I wouldn't even worry about new points and
curves-- there's really nothing wrong with them at all.  As long as TLC can
keep cranking out high quality engines like the Super Chief, the future of the
9 volt system is bright indeed.

*My* dream for trains would be the creation of a brand new trains theme such as
"LEGO Model Trains".  This system would be geared towards older kids and adults
and would be more complex and detailed than the current system.  LMT would
utilize the same track gauge as 9 volt, but would be 8 wide, still being based
on the minifig scale.  It would employ model railroad style magnetic couplers,
and have prototypical trucks and wheels for locos and rolling stock.  It would
have all of the bells and whistles of the former 12 volt system, and more.  LMT
would be a new system of play to which a kid could graduate and remain his/her
whole life, but still be firmly based on the brick.  The current 9 volt system
has severe limitations to the real train enthusiast, but that's okay because
it's not geared for that audience.  But when that audience gets older, I would
like to have a system which can keep them stimulated and a part of the LEGO
train experience.  That would be the mission of LMT.

This would represent a true departure for TLC, being that LMT would be focused
primarily on adults.  Whether TLC is daring enough to test such uncharted
waters is admittedly doubtful, but in terms of TLC's overall commitment to
producing creative systems of play, I think it is theoretically justifiable.

Perhaps I am crazy here, and feel free to say so, or to agree and perhaps add
ideas which could flesh out this concept.

-John