 Trains / 15145
Re: Future of trains in my mind (was Re: transcript is up)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 17:09:40 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickswest, John Neal writes:

<snipped a little bit>

*My* dream for trains would be the creation of a brand new trains theme such as
"LEGO Model Trains".  This system would be geared towards older kids and adults
and would be more complex and detailed than the current system.  LMT would
utilize the same track gauge as 9 volt, but would be 8 wide, still being based
on the minifig scale.  It would employ model railroad style magnetic couplers,
and have prototypical trucks and wheels for locos and rolling stock.  It would
have all of the bells and whistles of the former 12 volt system, and more.  LMT
would be a new system of play to which a kid could graduate and remain his/her
whole life, but still be firmly based on the brick.  The current 9 volt system
has severe limitations to the real train enthusiast, but that's okay because
it's not geared for that audience.  But when that audience gets older, I would
like to have a system which can keep them stimulated and a part of the LEGO
train experience.  That would be the mission of LMT.

This would represent a true departure for TLC, being that LMT would be focused
primarily on adults.  Whether TLC is daring enough to test such uncharted
waters is admittedly doubtful, but in terms of TLC's overall commitment to
producing creative systems of play, I think it is theoretically justifiable.

Perhaps I am crazy here, and feel free to say so, or to agree and perhaps add
ideas which could flesh out this concept.

John, I like your idea. Here is my Euro 0.05 ...
Since I'm not planning to switch to 8-wide I welcome the idea to keep the
current track gauge so I can benefit from both worlds. The LMT line could be
focussed on 8-wide engines and rolling stock, I would build my own 6 wide
versions of those models. That's the beauty of the Brick eh?

As for LMT sets, I think the best sets (next to rolling stock etc.) would be
not complete buildings but parts of buildings. The basic idea is "give the
people the elements and a little headstart and let them build the rest
themselves".

-Frank