 Trains / 14827
Re: Call for steam engines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 04:02:17 GMT

Steve, you're welcome to use my Atlantic as well. It's one of the first
(if not the first) steam engines to be used in actual daily railroad
operations. Some 20 were built in the 1830s, and many ran until the
1890s(!).

As you may remember, the other interesting thing about this engine,
other than its historical notoriety, is that it had a vertical boiler,
and vertical pushrods, rather than horizontal. The vertical pushrods, in
the prototype, and in the model, bob up and down, opposite each other,
giving the engine the look of its nickname, the "Grasshopper."

http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=111514
http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=111518

Thanks!

Rick Clark

Steve Barile wrote:

Hi All,

I am writing the material to present at BricksWest in the Train Session and
need some help. If you have a steam engine built can you send me a URL to
pics of it. And please don't be shy.

BTW This isn't a competition or anything I just would like to show a ton of
these engines in the presentation. Some of the best and innovative details
are often buried or obscured so perhaps outline what's novel about it.

<snip>

Thanks,
SteveB
PNLTC