 Trains / 14801
Re: Engine Identity Problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 21:43:34 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Robert Powell writes:
Hello Kai,

The Amtrak site shows a EMD F59PHI and GO site shows a EMD F59PH. According
to my Field Guide to Trains, both are essentially GP59's wit different body
work. Both are the same length @ 59' 2" but the F59PHI has 3200 horse power
compared to the F59PH's 3000. Hope this helps.

Robert Powell

I feel like giving a bit of insight:

The Amtrak F59PHI is a standard built F59PHI...

The Go Transit F59PH, is a Wide bodied form of another loco, possibly
GP35/38/40...  Go transit names it an F59PH, because of their OWN
classification rules for a loco...  It IS NOT A F40PH either...  This is
similar to how railroads have a Dash 9, it is known as C9-44W, Dash 9,
C44-9W, 9-44CW...

Josh