 Trains / 14782
Re: Two Easy Questions about Rolling Stock
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 16:39:06 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Kevin Salm writes:
I have two very simple 9 volt Train questions about rolling stock.
1.  What is the longest non-articulated wagon length that 9 volt track can
handle?  I prefer trains to NOT derail.

That is in fact NO simple question. I guess you do not mean 4-wheeled Eurotrash
waggons? That is easier to answer: without "steering" you can have a maximum
distance of 8 studs between the wheel blocks (with a derailment now and then +
higher friction in curves it works even with 10 (or maybe 12?) studs....

For Waggons with bogies it is more difficult: if you want to go over all kind
of track (point+curve-combinations), you will have to remove the yellow part
from the point if you have long waggons. Some of the 8-wide builders have
driven even 80studs long waggons over some simplier kind of oval, but with some
speed those waggons will derail for sure (especially at "s"-curves near points.

Nobody doubts the 4547 to be operational reliable: that has a length of 34
studs. For longer waggons you cannot simply use for e.g. two 24-studs bases to
make up a 48-studs waggon, because the bogies have to spin in curves in a wider
angle than the limited max. angle which is allowed by the base-plate.

You see there is no simple + valid answer. All depends on your layout and the
demandings you have on your waggons (exept from no derailments). You simply
have to build and test it.

2.  I have noticed that my boxcars (6-wide) seem a bit too tall.  I have them
all built 7 bricks high NOT including the roof.  The result is boxcars that
are
taller than all other wagons and also taller than the locomotives.  What is a
good suggested height and is it okay for boxcars to be a lot taller than
locomotives?

I'm from the Eurotrash side.... I have realized that your box cars and double
stack are quite high in real life, but no idea, what the "right" height in Lego
should be.

Anyway: all Lego-trains tend to be too high and too narrow. That is the reason
for the existance of the 8-wide models. But those are too short instead
(or get into trouble as described above)....

__Kevin Salm__
....If the house is on fire, the Lego goes out first...

Of course! But what part of the collection goes first? MOCs, sets or loose
bricks (special shapes or special colours first?)? Which part of the collection
has best price / volume ratio? I think the 7 folders of partly very old
building instructions could be the most worthful part in my collection. But of
course surviving a fire with nothing than a handful of old paper is not too
nice too.

Why can't you bring up easy questions like: what is the colour of my car? (just
kidding)

Ben