 Trains / 1456
Re: Macs (was Re: GMLTC Teaser page)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 13:17:45 GMT

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote:
Classic Corporate Arrogance. Apple almost killed themselves with
stupidity. If they had allowed Macs to be cloned, and had ported MacOS
to the intel platform around the time of OS/2 1.1 and Windows 2.0, this
would be a far different (better?) world.

I'm glad Apple survived, but they certainly didn't *deserve to* based on
their hubris.

Yup.  I wonder if they *will* survive another decade?  When I came to
UTK in 1993 the ratio of Macs to PCs in the student labs was around 10
to 1, maybe worse.  Now it's almost the other way around.  And the ed
market has always been Apple's strongest market.

One lab on campus that was, just a couple years ago, half and half is
now 2/3 PC, 1/3 Mac.  The PC side just got all new suped-up P2
machines.  To replace the aging Macs with G3's that are comparable to
the PCs UTK will probably have to spend 3x as much per machine, and
actually more because they'll have to provide for removable storage
(probably via USB superdisk) since Apple doesn't think it's important
anymore, but it still is essential in the public lab setting.

--
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - A great new resource for LEGO fans worldwide