 Trains / 14254
Re: Rail Racers web site
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 20:55:11 GMT

Yes, the trains are actually driven with standard train speed controllers.
As for spinning out at the start, if you build the train just right you can
prevent it from spinning out. There is a fine line between making it too
heavy as to drag down the engine, or making it too light where it can't keep
traction. So there is skill involved, but more in the building of the train
than at take off.

The system is computer controlled (now with a new RCX system) that controls
the starting lights, finish line sensors and the start line sensors to avoid
early starts. If a driver starts before the lights hit green the red light
on his side will light and power will be cut to his lane. So there is also a
skill factor in giving your train juice at the right time, don't want to go
early.

Also the winning lane is notified by the lights on the start tree as well.

With the sensors I can track speed and times, but I'm at a loss of how to
display this information with the RCX. The old system with the touch
panel/computer could display it on the screen. But I haven't given up hope
on this feature with my new RCX control system.

I've tried to make it as much like a real drag race as possible, so set
yourself up a track, build yourself some trains and lets race.

I'm waiting for someone to get into the modified class, when I get the time
I plan on building me one heck of a fast engine.

jt

In lugnet.trains, Steve Runnels writes:
In lugnet.announce, James Trobaugh writes:
http://www.ngltc.org/RailRacers/

WOW! I'm not a train fan, but I an a racing NUT and this looks awesome.

You get to "drive" your train right?  I assume the trains can't just go full
blast from the start because of traction problems? (I hope! there's gotta be
some skill involved)

I noticed the light tree and computer set up. Cool!

Now I gotta know, do you have light sensor's under the track (or something?)
to detect false starts, and timing on stuff   such as reaction time, trap
speed, and elapsed time?

Maybe I'm getting too ahead of myself, thinking this is too much like real
drag racing.  But I could have a BLAST with this if it were...

Sorry, if none of that makes sense. I'm a bit excited about the possibilities!

I've got to know more about this! I wanna start up my own bracket racing
group now... :P

---SteveR