 Trains / 14250
Re: Base
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 14:42:47 GMT

"Lester Witter" <witter@erim-int.com> wrote in message
news:Go8CJH.8I5@lugnet.com...
I was developing a train MOC and did not have a correct size  train base. • I
tried to build one out of plates but when I was done it did not sit at the • same
level as a car on an actual train base. I realized that a train base is
actually differnt in a way that makes duplicating it in plates • non-trivial. Can
anyone point me to pictures or LDraw or instructions on how to build a • train
base from parts that will line-up with a normal train base. Also "scratch
build" train bases without the "line-up" requirement. Do some builders use
technic beams and connectors?

Lester

Train bases are two plates tall but the underside is recessed.  You can
achieve the same thickness by using technic plates and regular plates
assembled such that the result is two plates thick.  I haven't seen anything
that mimics the recess in the train base.  You can adjust the truck height
by a plate if you need them to align exactly but I suspect that visually the
difference between a truck riding under a train base and a truck riding
under a two plate thick constructed base is not very noticeable.

Mike

http://www.nclug.net - North Carolina LEGO Users Group
http://www.carolinatrainbuilders - Carolina Train Builders
http://www.brickbay.com/store.asp?u=mpw - Brick Depot