 Trains / 13942
Re: Tilting Train Movies: APT and Acela
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 23:20:36 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:

Thanks for reading, or at least "jumping" to the movies.  I hope they show
the tilting action well-enough.

It is always a pleasure seeing your handiwork, James, and even more so in
motion:-)  The tilting action is terrific; you can really see it on the APT
(less so on the Acela-- slightly different camera angle?)

Different camera angle?  Probably, but only slightly.  The Acela loco nose
doesn't tilt very much.  I'm having a lot of problems integrating the
pendular axis into the cab while retaining room for the driver.  I have
positioned the bogie axis as far forward into the nose of the cab as
possible so that the nose doesn't swing out any further through curves.
However, this locates the bogie axis just right beneath the driver's chair.
This leaves little room for the height needed to located the pendular
(tilting) axis.

I really like the tilting motion of the APT.  I just wish I could get it to
run well through curvey-curves without needing to pump two speed regulators
into the train motors.  :-(

It is an engineering
masterpiece.  I'm not one for copying designs, but I'd seriously consider
working up your Acela in an 8 wide version (unless you want to:-)

I don't have any notions of taking the Acela toward 8-wide.  I look forward
to seeing an 8-wide Acela...would be very cool!

BTW, I thought your interview with Trains was excellent; you really portrayed us
LTDs in a good light (not such an easy task for some folk, present company
included;-)

Thanks for the nod regarding the interview.  :-)

Keep up the good work in the high desert!

I keep trying...

later,
James Mathis