 Trains / 13347
Re: GE 44-Tonner
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 23:02:11 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Gianluca Morelli writes:
In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
Here is a GE 44 Tonner in UP colors that my 11 yo son built a while ago:

Produced from 1940 until 1955, they were specifically designed to be the
largest loco that could be operated by just one man (the 1937 Diesel
Agreement provided that an extra man would be needed for locos weighing
more that 90,000 pounds).  They gave themselves 1 ton for any extra
add-ons.

I think he did a pretty good job:-)

-John

Hi,John,
it's a nice engine,for two reasons:
1) it's 8wide
2) it's 8wide :-))

and also because I've always liked the UP colors.
Congratulations to your son!

This locomotive reminded me that here in italy we have a US switcher (we
call it "TRUMAN") that looks like a GE44 (but cabin is different..)

http://mercurio.iet.unipi.it/pix/it/diesel/misc/d143b.jpg

does anybody know which class this locomotive belongs?I'm not so expert in
US rolling stock..

Ciao
Gianluca

my creations:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=gm

It looks like a GE, possibly a mod (modification) of the 44 tonner?
Josh