 Trains / 13382
Re: GE 44-Tonner
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 15:33:59 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi writes:
John Neal wrote:

Here is a GE 44 Tonner in UP colors that my 11 yo son built a while ago:

Produced from 1940 until 1955, they were specifically designed to be the
largest loco that could be operated by just one man (the 1937 Diesel
Agreement provided that an extra man would be needed for locos weighing
more that 90,000 pounds).  They gave themselves 1 ton for any extra
add-ons.

I think he did a pretty good job:-)

-John

That looks nice.
I agree with Lar about the walkway at the front or back.
All I can say is that Ross is being faithful to the prototype-- I checked the
schematic from which he was working and there isn't a walkway on the front or
back-- the steps drop right off of the front wheel of the truck.  He cleverly
attached the steps to the trucks so that would look correct, and by doing so,
prevented the use of the motor side bars.
A more rounded look
might peg the model as a 44-toner a bit more, but potato potato. There are only
two other things I find distracting (slightly) the gap between the clear panel
windows and the lack of bumpy things around the LEGO train motors. Can't you
spring for a couple of gray 1x2x2 windows for a prodigy like your son to fix the
window issue ;?)
Okay, Chris, that made me BOL (burst of laughing:-)  Good one!

(Although after looking at the proto the side windows on that
engine are going to be problematic.) The way he has the motors built in really
limits the options for covering up the motors, and the motors in the prototype
are excruciatingly boring too. (I like the close fitting gray slopes, but the
plain motors are too plain.)

The color scheme is well done. The ladders are flush, and they look good that
way. The diesel engine details are cool too.

I think he did a very good job.

Chris

PS I think everyone has the stud count going the wrong way. Maybe the hood
should be 1 stud wider. Go 8/5! (Just trying to get him to use up more of your
"good" parts :).
He consulted me about whether he should go 4 or 5; I don't think it would have
been much of a problem to go 5 except for the grill action on the front.  The
proto is actually somewhere in between in width-- maybe I'll encourage him to
work on ver2.

Thanks for the input, Chris-- I'll pass it along:-)

-John