 Trains / 1326
  Re: A4 Class Locomotive teaser & Wheel count designations

(...) Well it's correct for steam locomotives and shunters (switchers) (counting the wheels) but there is a newer system for diesel and electric locomotives: Powered Axles are given letters A=1, B=2, etc. Unpowered axles are given numbers for each (...) (25 years ago, 26-May-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A4 Class Locomotive teaser & Wheel count designations

US does not use the "o" part. There was a long thread on this in RTL I think, where I pontificated at length. Some US examples: A (GM) DD40AX is a D-D (hence the model designation) 2 trucks, 4 axles each. I think the trucks have steerable outer (...) (25 years ago, 27-May-99, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A4 Class Locomotive teaser & Wheel count designations

(...) It actually depends on the country as to what system is used. Germany used a number-letter-number designation for steam engines (2-c-1 would be a 4-6-2). The US tends towards using a name for them (a Pacific) the UK uses (4-6-2 or Pacific) And (...) (25 years ago, 28-May-99, to lugnet.trains)