 Trains / 13133
Re: how long is a piece of straight track?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 01:41:48 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Steve Martin writes:
In lugnet.trains, Steve Martin writes:

No, a piece of track is longer than 5".  16 studs is ~5 1/32", but a piece
of track has tabs that stick out on the end to connect to the next piece of
track which makes it slightly longer (2 studs, IIRC.  That would make it • ~5.6").

I didn't remember correctly.  It the overlap is offset by 1/2 stud making
the total length only 17 studs (~5.35").

Steve

Well I have the pieces in my hand right now and 8 pieces of track fit perfectly
onto 4 32x32 (studs) baseplates end to end.  My impression was that those
baseplates were 10" square.  So the track pieces would be approx. 5" each.  I
don't think a 1/32 is going to affect that dimension a whole lot.  Also I guess
I wasn't including the interlocking tabs that stick out of each end.  Well
anyhow, that's my 2cents.

-Jason Spears