 Trains / 12803
Re: Why is the monorail motor so special?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 00:58:54 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Rose Regner writes:
Can anyone elaborate on BradJ's comment (at brickfest) that the monorail
could not come back because they couldn't get the motor. Please! Being an
electrical engineer, in the power field, I can not imagine any technical
reason why a motor could not be made anymore. Does anyone have any more info
about this?

No info, only speculation... but it's a complex assembly, there is a motor,
it goes into a plastic housing, there is a press on gear, some electric
switches, etc.

Even if you had all the molds in good shape for the 3-5 pieces that go to
make up the motor, you'd still need a way to put all the pieces together.
That probably requires some special assembly machines, etc. (I am not enough
of an industrial engineer to know exactly what goes into automatically
putting multipart electromechanical assemblies together).

If TLC subbed that out, no doubt it got taken apart long ago. Ditto, no
doubt, if it was in house.

The assembly probably is the biggest reason. The motor itelf I'm betting
is the same physical motor as in the 9V train motor (every LEGO motor I
have seen has actually had the same size housing, It's a very common
size, I remember HO trains with that size housing and I think my Erector
set had motors with the same size housing).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com