 Trains / 12531
Re: D.C. Metrorail Car
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.trains, lugnet.build
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 00:20:19 GMT

Thomas Main wrote:
Kevin,

Does the real metro rest that high on its trucks or are they inset more into
the frame of the car?

here are some pics of the greenbelt yard- it gives a good view of the
trucks.
http://www.chesapeake.net/~cambronj/wmata/yards/graphics/greenbelt.htm

It looks like you need some equipment hanging off the bottom of the car
though.

I think this model would be very cute if it were "Legoized" and made half as
long...realism is one thing, play value and practicality another :) Now that
you've proven how it looks to scale, why not make one that works at Lego scale
better :)

I've been meaning to post the similar suggestion.  I would remove the
middle door(who uses the middle door anyway?).

What's keeping those sides bent out?

It looks like kevin used those 1x technic plates with the little nubs
around the holes (forgive I don't know their name) to get the overall
shape- I don't know how he did the rest.

I've only been to D.C. twice (for Brickfest, of course)....but I loved riding
the metro...this captures it very well.  Weren't you also responsible for
building a metro station last year?

If you are talking about this metro station
http://www.peeron.com/pics/Mar12/thumbnails/metro2.jpg.html
http://www.peeron.com/pics/Mar12/thumbnails/metro.jpg.html
then it was me.   This was only a design study to see it it could be
done realistically. I had started on a large scale version (open on the
sides rather than the end) but my cat springboarded off the bed right
through it before any pics were taken.   That was the end of my metro
station adventures. :(

Anyway- Great Job Kevin!!!  I only wished I rebuilt and finished that
metro station now...
-chris