 Trains / 12023
Re: Train Layouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 1 Jul 2001 02:47:05 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ahui Herrera writes:
Hello all,

Have anyone done any train layouts with inclines to allow one train to pass
underneath another?  If so, could I see some images of the layouts or even
the train track file (if use used Mr. Bates Train Tack Program).  I was to
redo my currnet layout to incorporate this feature but am running into a
space problem with the track begin HUGE!  I got a 13' x 13' room to work with.

You think YOU have a large space problem?  Someone in Europe has a 60 m^2
layout :)  (~600 sq ft).  I have ~300 or so, in 2 rooms (I have a 3rd room, but
the tin mice (OO scale) stuff is going into there)

For clearances, one needs at least 13 studs, and more like 14.6 for all stock
to fit (standard, 6 wide stuff anyway)

This means you need ~24 pieces of track up, and the same number to get back
down (assuming a 2 plate/length ramp)- Of course, this doesn't exactly come
close to that required to gain 47" of height :)

And yes, Track Designer can become a bear when designing large layouts.  I
prefer to do it by hand on the real thing, since I am cutting walls and wood to
fit anyway.

(In case people dind't figure it out, I am back on line)

James Powell