 Trains / 11987
Re: building a coupler without using a coupler piece...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 04:08:01 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jonathan Wilson writes:
I am after a way to build a usable train magnetic coupler using this
part (along with a magnet of course)
http://img.lugnet.com/ld/2607.gif

Can it be done?
It needs to be able to handle around curves & it should be such that it
provides enough clearence off the ground. It will be used on a train car
(or engine perhaps) that uses 2 sets of 4.5v train wheels as the wheels.

I wanted a nose-mounted coupler for my Acela High Speed locomotive.  I had to
work a height issue due to the fact that the nose opening was higher than the
standard LEGO designed buffer/magnet coupler.  I used some technic elements and
the magnet holder you reference above to lower the height of the coupling
magnet.

There are a couple of different designs here:  one is more compact that the
other.

In these images, you can see how the nose is held on by a magnet.  The stud-
connection of a magnet to the inside of the detatchable nose via the 1x1 brick
with 4 side-studs is a little weak :-(  Here is shown a dual-magnet bar (in
yellow) that can connect two Acela loco's nose-to-nose.

I like Jake's construction.

I encourage you to try out variations on either design!  You never know when you
might come up with some origina...something better!  :-)

I hope you coupler project comes out well.

later,
James Mathis