 Trains / 11973
Re: HP-Set-Pictures at 1000steine.de
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 17:21:21 GMT

"Jason J. Railton" wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Tim Strutt writes:
In lugnet.trains, Harvey Henkelman writes:
In lugnet.harrypotter, Holger Matthes writes:
Hi folks,

just check out:

http://www.1000steine.de/harrypotter/

Kind regards,

Holger
I won't be wasting my money on that juniorized junk (The Hogwarts Express),
better to put my money in the new train car sets coming out. -Harvey

It's pretty basic looking, but at least it's a source of red train windows
for those of us who don't have any yet.
Play well.

Tim Strutt   8^)

Maybe - depends on the price point, but I could use the parts too.  It's
damn hard to get even a handful of useful general bits (i.e. assorted 1xn
bricks and plates) out of a set nowadays - that one looks blocky enough to
be useful.

Doesn't appear to be any glass in the windows though, and taking back my
earlier arguments, from the new angle it looks just like plain old tire less
Adventurer hubs for wheels.  How unimpressive is this?  Not only is it a
shoddy model, but if this is re-assessment is accurate it would demonstrate
that the big-license side of TLC couldn't give a monkey's about the 9V train
line.

Jason J Railton

This is sheer speculation...

It could be that LEGO is trying to develop a market for the train line. Buying a
train set (even a LEGO train set) is different than buying a LEGO set.

Buying a train set makes people think train track, train layout, power packs,
etc... Things that we all love because we are train heads. Mostly, trains are
thought of as something that comes out and stays out. That aspect of trains
might scare some parents away.

LEGO sets, on the other hand, are toys that come out and get put away. Most
people do not display LEGO models all the time like we do.

So, the thinking could be that people who would not normally buy a LEGO train
(or any train set) will buy the Hogwarts Express because (1) their son or
daughter really wants it because its Hogwarts Express, and (2) it is not a
"train set", which means that their son or daughter can take out the train, play
with it, push it around where ever he or she wants, and then put it away. Once
the "almost train" is in the house, the son or daughter may notice all the cool
accessories that he or she could get and that the almost train can be turned
into a real train! Et viola...a trainiac is born.

LEGO will have to be very careful about how Hogwarts Express is marketed and
packaged. After all, if a parent thinks that he or she is actually buying a
ready to go train, and finds out afterwards that it is not a ready to go train,
then there will be some angry parents out there.

Like I said...just speculating.

Chris

P.S. Has this set even been officially announced yet? This feels more like a
leak to me than the train stuff we were talking about before, mostly because I
have only seen the pictures of the Harry Potter stuff on Ebay, not on LEGO's
public servers.
--
See some of my LEGO creations at http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/

Message has 1 Reply:
  Re: HP-Set-Pictures at 1000steine.de

(...) I agree - I just think that they could have put some wheels on it that you can push along the floor, but if you bought some train track it would run on that too. I know Adventurer ones will, but only until you try to add a siding. Jason J (...) (23 years ago, 29-Jun-01, to lugnet.trains)

Message is in Reply To:
  Re: HP-Set-Pictures at 1000steine.de

(...) Maybe - depends on the price point, but I could use the parts too. It's damn hard to get even a handful of useful general bits (i.e. assorted 1xn bricks and plates) out of a set nowadays - that one looks blocky enough to be useful. Doesn't (...) (23 years ago, 28-Jun-01, to lugnet.trains)