 Trains / 11875
Re: Pictures from Raleigh GATS Show - Day 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 01:43:44 GMT

Mike Walsh wrote:

Well day two is over - what a blast!  Here are the pictures from today.

I thought I'd comment on some of the pictures:

Group shot (L-R): Sheree Rosenkrantz (F), Chris Suich (R), Mike Walsh,
Kendall, James Beerman, Frank Filz, Cary Clark. Missing: Thomas Main,
Mike's father in law, and the kids (I didn't get all their names, so I
won't risk leaving anyone out), the wives (Chris's wife took the photo).
The wives mustn't be forgotten since they definitely helped.

Nice shot of my accident scene.

Like yesterday, we had a steady crowd pretty much all day long.  It was a
little slow when the show first opened (11:00 AM) but around 1:00 or so it
really picked up.  About the only significant change we made was to the
monorail loop.  Cary Clark raised one section so it was two levels up and
added a couple of reversing switches that allowed us to control two monorail
trains better (although we still managed to crash the monorails a couple of
times).

We ended up placing second in the contest which we were pretty happy with.
The group that won had a very nice, very large (like 100' long by 40' deep)
HO layout.

I was impressed with the prize winning HO layout. It is one of the best
modular layouts I've ever seen. It had a huge (like 20' long or more)
steel plant. One thing I really noted, and have noticed over time, is
that the HO modular layouts are much nicer than the N scale N-Trak
layouts. By not having rigid modular standards, they wind up with much
more impressive layouts. The N-Trak wins on sheer capability to run long
trains, but having a three track main running down the front of your
module really limits things.

Tear down went pretty smoothly and we were pretty much packed up and ready
to go by 6:30 PM.  Now I need to unload!

I was impressed with how quick tear down went (that was an hour and a
half, the show ended at 5:00, though we had started to put a little bit
away about 15 minutes ahead of time), though I would have preferred it
to be a little slower. I felt a little rushed, and one table started to
be torn down with Cary's courthouse still on it which would have been a
supreme disaster.

Our next show will likely be the local NMRA show on Sept. 8-9 also here in
Raleigh.

Duly noted in my Palm Pilot.

Frank