 Trains / 11787
Re: Amtrak HHP-8 Locomotive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 19:56:06 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Bob Hayes writes:
James,

You are the man.  Is that a handle bar for the red pantograph?  It looks
good.

Pantograph:
Yes, the red pantograph pick-up element is a handle bar.  I like the look,
too.  Although, I think it looks a little to short with respect to the
6-wide body. ??
Anyone know what the reference for this handle bar is in .dat form or on the
lugnet parts ref database?
Also, I have two of these handle bars in red two of them in black.  I don't
know which sets, exactly, they came in; I think some sets with jet-ski like
town models.

I frequently see the prototype at Union Station in Washington, DC.
Washington is the southern terminal of the electrified northeast cooridor.
I was going to try to model this locomotive - but I am just going to build
one like yours.

Have fun building.  I hope it turns out well!
I got to see the High Speed Acela Express at Penn Station, NY this past
March 01.  Oh, that is a beautiful sleek  train!  Sweet.  I love the new
paint schemes!  I had only seen pictures of it on the web, as I live in New
Mexico.  To see it in person was a delight.  I arrived by a more modest
train- one of the New Jersey Transit commuter sets from Dover, NJ.  I was
pleasantly surprised to see a high-speed Acela set.

As for this Amtrak HHP-8 locomotive:
Now, all I need are some passenger cars to pull!

later,
James Mathis

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:
What used to be only in CAD/POV, is now making its way into ABS.
This is an attempt to model the Amtrak HHP-8 locomotive used for Acela route
service (I think).
During the build, details of the decorations changed a bit.  Overall form
and construction followed the original CAD design quite closely.  There was
one problem with the trucks pivoting:  some interference above the buffers
with bare studs hitting the main platform.  That problem was fixed.
Here's the result:

Several details are inconsistent throughout the decorative design:
I'm still contemplating "what looks best" for lower headlights, pantagraph,
door color, under-carriage decorations, and roof-top decorations, etc.

Studs-forward nose construction:
Sorry, I took photos of the nose construction, but I forgot to download them
from the camea before I deleted the images from the camera's memory!  Ugh.
The studs-forward construction is quite simple and robust.  Uses this right
angle bracket element:  2x2-to-2x2 right angle bracket:
http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=3956

Thanks for looking.
later,
James Mathis