 Trains / 11777
11776  |  11778
Subject:
A few new POV's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 19:55:23 GMT

Hi Everyone,

  I decided to win my own train building contest. I am the only one I told about
the contest, so I was the only person to enter, so I won! Whoo hooo!
  As a prize I awarded myself free instructions the my models that I submitted
to myself. I don't have time to post the instructions that I have finished
(SD40-2, Trolley (kind of), Tank Car, and my Caboose) but if anyone is
interested I could mail you the ".dat" files. Anyway, I also have decided to
make a few cover photo's (POV's)
  After rendering these shots I realized that there are two plates missing (you
probably won't notice it), and that the vents inside the blower housing aren't
quite right. Nonetheless, the shots came out pretty good.

http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/sd40-2.gif
http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/sd40-2.jpg
http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/sd40-2b.gif
http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/sd40-2b.jpg

The gif files are approximately 70 kB, and the jpg's are approximately 700 kB.
If you are on a slow connection, the extra 630 kB are not really worth it.

The SD40-2 POV's are shots of the driver's side, and the window is missing on
purpose (the engineer has the window open).

The SD40-2b files are shots of the side with the blower housing.

  I was thinking about LEGO marketing "bigger and better trains", "Model Team
Trains" (what ever...) and I came up with these thoughts. My engine has 904
parts. I guess that means at LEGO retail MSRP this engine would range from a low
of $91 (10¢ a brick) to a high of $226 (25¢ a brick) with my best guess at $212
(based on the price of a 3225).[1] It would have to be a very good model to get
my $200.[2] Certainly, I wouldn't be buying tons of them in one year.  My
caboose has 440 pieces, so based on the Club Car[3] the caboose would come in at
$58 (not a great comparison since the club car has more expensive windows an
more minifigs.) That seems like a lot for a car, but I could see that. The
engines would be pocketbook killers. LEGO would have to increase the shelf life
of the sets, so people could wait and save. This would mean that a 4 car train
(3 cars one big engine) without track or controller would run around $400.

I hope you like them.
Chris

1. I have no idea how much I actually paid for this model. The bricks were big
blue tub bricks, the plates were shop at home and auctions, the windows were
trades and web purchases (thanks for the fair pricing and trades on those). I
guess I could give it a good guess since I have records of all my transactions,
but that is just WAY to much work.

2. The LEGO designers are certainly good enough to come up with very good
models.

3. Wow, the Club Car was 13.1¢ per brick. What a train bargain!
--
See some of my LEGO creations at http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/