 Trains / 11649
Re: New non-magnetic coupler design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 18:09:07 GMT

Harvey Henkelman wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi writes:
Hey all,

snip
I needed couplers that would not uncouple. My first attempt was strong, but it
had some problems. I think my second attempt solves the problem fairly well. I
use a small Technic bushing, a #2 Technic axle, a steering connector (part
name?), and a 1x4 rounded technic plate with hole at each end. The connector
fits onto the standard buffer or a 2x2-with-center-hole plate. The good things
about this coupler design are (1) it is strong, (2) it is relatively easy to
couple and uncouple cars (no snapping of bricks onto pegs, just a slip over the
top of an axle), and (3) because the couplers are the same at both ends of the
car there is no correct end issue. • snip

http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/NOLTC/tech/new_truck/new_truck.htm

snip

Chris

Chris, just got done building you coupler design, te best alt. coupler
design I've seen - esp. for long trains. And it should be super strong for
six-wide Euro-type trains! -Harvey

Thanks for the kind words. The one thing I am wondering about with this design
is what happens when two bufferless models are connected, and the train is
pushed backwards. When the cars are pushed backwards the couplers compress. The
couplers will continue to compress until the two gray steering connectors meet.
This shortens the distance between the trucks from just over 5 studs to about
(?) 2 studs (?)[1]. I don't know if the cars will be too close together to go
through a curve. Since I use buffers, the buffers help keep the cars farther
apart, so I haven't had any problems. But I imagine some of you bufferless
American types out there might have problems with this design.

Chris

1. just guessing here, I don't have a model in front of me so I cannot say for sure.
--
See some of my LEGO creations at http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/