 Trains / 11642
Re: New non-magnetic coupler design
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:18:13 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi writes:
Hey all,

I finally had the chance to run my trains this weekend. If you don't know, I
have been building my trains 8-wide, and the size and weight of my cars was
causing a problem.
The surging that the long cars cause as they go through the corners is so
extreme that at power settings of 5 and 6 (on the LEGO speed regulator) the
magnetic couplers kept uncoupling. Inserting a motor near the end of the train
actually made the problem worse.
I needed couplers that would not uncouple. My first attempt was strong, but it
had some problems. I think my second attempt solves the problem fairly well. I
use a small Technic bushing, a #2 Technic axle, a steering connector (part
name?), and a 1x4 rounded technic plate with hole at each end. The connector
fits onto the standard buffer or a 2x2-with-center-hole plate. The good things
about this coupler design are (1) it is strong, (2) it is relatively easy to
couple and uncouple cars (no snapping of bricks onto pegs, just a slip over the
top of an axle), and (3) because the couplers are the same at both ends of the
car there is no correct end issue.
Oh, another thing that I noticed about these couplers is that, since they have
some give, putting a motor at the end of the train doesn't eliminate the
surging, but it eliminates the annoying surging noise that comes from the motors
at the front of the train.
Well, here are some MLCAD screen shots. If you want the files let me know.
I'll probable post the .dat files sometime in the not too distant future.

http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/NOLTC/tech/new_truck/new_truck.htm

By the way, I think that running my trains at high speed causes the track to
separate. Do you think that this is strain caused by misaligned track, or is it
just part of the hazard of running big trains as fast as you can? I should
mention that my track is not snapped down, it is laid out in the living room on
the carpet.

Chris
Chris, just got done building you coupler design, te best alt. coupler
design I've seen - esp. for long trains. And it should be super strong for
six-wide Euro-type trains! -Harvey