 Trains / 10563
  Re: Magnetic field activated switch

(...) Is it possible that the magnetic field generated from flux in the track current caused by the running train might trigger some false detections ? In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton writes: (...) I've been thinking of making a pneumatic weight (...) (23 years ago, 31-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Magnetic field activated switch

(...) Exactly what part of a _plastic_ train are we hoping to detect here anyway? Are these things sensitive enough to detect the wheels and sparse metallic components of a train motor, encased in ABS, as it goes past? Jason J Railton (23 years ago, 1-Apr-01, to lugnet.trains)

Jason J. Railton wrote in message ... (...) How about the magnetic coupler on the front of the loco and between the wagons. I have found that the coupler going past has enough strength to attract a magnet under the track. Allan J Smith (23 years ago, 1-Apr-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Magnetic field activated switch

(...) Good point! So, a simple reed switch on the sleeper should do the trick. The other thought I had was to isolate a short (30mm) section of one side of the track, and bridge over it with a wire to power up both sides. This isn't long enough a (...) (23 years ago, 2-Apr-01, to lugnet.trains)