 Trains / 10244
  Re: My first MOC locomotive

(...) I love the rotating fan/vents on top! Does the extra power drain on the 9V affect the speed at all? (I wouldn't think so.) How fast do they spin? Mind if I try to do the same thing? SRC StRuCtures L#765 (23 years ago, 13-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My first MOC locomotive

(...) No, it doesn't seem to. But the big ol' 9v motor makes the loc very top-heavy. It can't do corners at full speed if it has a decent straight lead into them. If I do that again, I might try using a micromotor and gearing it up. On the other (...) (23 years ago, 13-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My first MOC locomotive

(...) If you thought you needed my approval, consider it given, but I don't think you need it. I didn't use a normal train plate. I put the 9V motor as low as I could in the design--I actually built the "fuel tanks" around it so it kept the center (...) (23 years ago, 14-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My first MOC locomotive

(...) Dwayne's is a much more massive engine, and is a lot more stable than mine to begin with. I hadn't thought about the effect of fingers on the fans- perhaps a belt drive with a rubber band would be a good idea. I wish I'd taken the opportunity (...) (23 years ago, 14-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)