 Trains / 10048
Re: Networked train control?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 21:56:24 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ross Crawford writes:
Just saw this on slashdot - a network train control system. Maybe Lego will
start using it (well we can dream...)

http://www.digitrax.com/loconetq.htm

  Of course, with the RS-232 interface on the MS100, you could connect
that to a terminal server, and have it attached to the Internet...

   (http://www.conserver.com/consoles/)

  Alternately, you could put up a web page, and use some CGI scripting
to have the web commands translate into the proper serial commands, and
connect the serial port of the server to the MS100...

   And then, we need a good WebCam, so the remote users can look at the
layout from afar (overhead view, etc.).

  What would be really cool is to take a wireless camera (ala the X-10
unites, etc.), and receive the video, but then run the composite video
stream to a streaming webcam server...a local mike could let the remote
viewers hear the crowd, and then a web page could allow users to toggle
the view between the cab and a 'fixed location' camera. (Of course, you
would need to add some arbitration method, so the camera isn't trying to
switch views every couple of seconds... ;-)

  I hear you now "less tech, more building!", so back to building I go. :-)

      -Z-