 Town / 9700
9699  |  9701
Subject:
Attempt at corner cafe
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2007 23:14:10 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

I purchased the corner cafe directions and tried to build it with parts I had.
Aside from colors, the problems that I encountered were mainly with windows.

  The first floor windows are 6 bricks tall unlike the 5 tall windows I have.
Similarly the white panels in the second floor were 3 bricks tall and mine were
a brick shorter. Most of the 1x3x4 white window frames that I had did not fit on
the third floor because of shutter holders hit the roof slopes. I wanted them
white but had to use red ones that were the correct shape.

  I almost made all yellow awnings, but the stripes looked so much better so I
opted for red and white stripes.  The building started to emerge as all black,
white and red so I eventually replaced the blue base and the makeshift blue
columns with red columns from the orient sets.  White slopes were used at the
base instead of rounded bricks because the rounded bricks were needed for the
awning.

  Aside from small problems like not having dark gray frogs and white minifig
snowshoes, the other major issue was making the tower roof. While not a perfect
replacement, black space wings, slightly larger than the 3x6 angled plates were
an ok substitute.  Below is the final product, although I am still considering
replacing the second floor with red instead of white.

   My apologies to the original designer, I thought the building was brilliant,
especially the angled wall.  I changed the entry decoration slightly and I like
how it turned out.  And one more thing, for playability, I did not make the side
walls solid only the angled wall directly across from the corner.  Some long 1x
beams work perfectly for support.  (This is my first post, I hope it works!)