 Town / 9331
Re: Evolution of garbage (truck)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2007 17:44:17 GMT

Version one, from (appx) 2000 or 2001

Version two, from early 2006

Current, late 2006 version:

Hey, Jonathan:

I like all three iterations, but especially the first one because it has actual
passenger doors. 8--)=

Sadly, I think the traditional garbage truck, and, moreover, the "garbage man"
(woman, though you don't see that many) may actually be in danger of extinction.

I was riding around Suffolk, Virginia over the holidays, and we got behind a
garbage truck which had some sort of "robotic arm" coming out of the side of it,
"grabbing" the garbage can (read: glorified dumpster) and lifting it up over the
side of the truck to dump its contents.

I do wish I had a pic, but sadly, I don't. I guess it's only time before garbage
trucks won't even need human drivers.  8---(P

RIP, garbage men (and women) and those aspiring to be.

Mike
(former aspiring garbageman)

Thanks, Mike.  I guess it would depend on where you live with regards to the
robotic arms on the trucks.
I don't know how quickly they are able to go thru their motions, but I can't see
them being faster than a human here in NYC.
I am thinking of traffic that would pile up behind them.

PS: it is on my agenda at some point to build a truck of this type.

Best,
Jonathan