 Town / 8899
Re: Truck Cab
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2006 18:04:43 GMT

In lugnet.town, Timothy Gould wrote:
In lugnet.announce.moc, Jonathan Lopes wrote:
I wanted to try to use the new fender elements that come with many of the little
racers sets on a truck cab.  I was also feeling that my trucks with 4 wide cabs
were looking a little wimpy.  I wanted to beef them up a little.

This is what I was able to come up with:
<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=176677>

I am pretty happy with it.  I don't think it is fantastic, by any means, but I
think it looks OK.

Thoughts?  Ideas?  Suggestions?

Any or all would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

I only just saw this today so it's a late response. I like the use of the fender
parts and the overall design is quite sound but as Thomas said the windscreen
looks a little blocky.

My suggestion would be to go for a four-wide windscreen (the standard 4x2x2
would probably work) and uppercab with a five-wide bonnet etc. At present it
looks a little large and flat. You could also try to pad out the sides of a
4-wide windscreen with tiles or bars although I've never had much success making
this work.

IIRC you run six-wide trains so you probably don't want six-wide trucks.

Tim

Hi Tim, John and Thomas,  Thanks for all the replies and thoughts.

Yeah, blocky indeed.  I am wishing there were a better 5 wide window option
myself.  I have considered cutting the 4 wide windscreens and making them into 5
wide.  I have so many 4 wide windscreens but just shudder at the thought of
having to spend money on a tool to cut them. Just kidding, the thought of
cutting them doesn't sit that well with me either.  I have cut baseplates and
umbrella stands in the past, but that is all.

Yeah, my loco's are 7 wide, my rolling stock is a 'healthy' 6 wide and my subway
and surface trains are a narrow 6 wide.

This truck is now on the back burner (along with other vehicles) for me as I
used it to fill a building slot when I went through a little building slump on
the layout a couple of weeks ago.  I am back in full swing on the layout and
actually took my last carry-over vacation day this coming Friday to stay home,
sleep late & work on the layout.

Thanks again,

Jonathan