 Town / 7636
Re: Beechcraft Starship
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Sun, 25 Jul 2004 20:15:40 GMT

In lugnet.town, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   I liked the look of this ship. My few (minor nits really) comments are:

1. I think the wings may be too large for a “minifig compressed scale” ship that’s in scale with airport set ships. Those all are 4 wide fuselages but have pretty small wingspans even though they’re simulating (presumably) fairly large capacity passenger ships. The wings are probably closer to scale, in proportion to the fuselage than they are. (this really is a criticism of those sets for not having bigger wingspans, if you see what I mean)

I agree. Although I do like the overall delta-like shape that you see from underneath, something very distinctive about the Starship. I have now “installed” seats, and just like the SYSTEM planes, there ain’t a lot of room in there!

   2. I’m not so keen on the canard shape you chose, did you evaluate other parts for that application? I think the canards should taper in depth as they get farther from the fuselage. It’s not a big taper so maybe just using tiles is not a totally bad compromise.

I thought about this before and after your comments. Yes, I am not altogether happy about it either. But the Starship canard in real life has flaps, as far as I can tell, so I thought it had to be a little thicker and I thought the angle was about right. However, especially now you mention it, I think an angled tile might fit better with the SYSTEM planes again.

   3. I might argue that the engine nacelles ought to be closer to the fuselage proportionally... but that’s not a big deal either

Thought about that too. Today I have messed around with the model some and of course changed a little here and there. Your comments have been helpful, thanks.

   Thanks for the extra links as well..Very interesting story.

I think Scaled Composites and both Dick and Burt Rutan’s contribution to aviation is very interesting and inspiring. The Starship story ( Beechcraft/Raytheon) is a little sad as I don’t think this aircraft will fly all that much anymore.

Thanks again for your comments Larry.

Chris