 Town / 5357
Re: Residential Block/Squad 252
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 16:41:29 GMT

In lugnet.town, John Neal writes:
In lugnet.town, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.town, John Neal writes:

Excellent work, Jonathan!  I really enjoy seeing your attention to detail in
your buildings.  Way to go, fellow Ashcanner:-)

What's an ashcanner in this context? Is there a secret handshake?

Eric and Jonathan have explained the reference, but I will expound a little
further.  I try and create turn of the century period buildings that look as
"realistic" as possible, and one of the main ways one can accomplish this is to
avoid building in primary colors, but instead use the earth tones.  Jonathan
has taken a similar approach to his buildings and so we are kindred spirits of
a sort as were the group of painters known as the Ashcan school.

Indeed.

Thanks for the extra info guys! (and Eric, I did go look at that site. Many
of the paintings didn't come up but the ones that did, made the point
nicely, thanks for the link!)...

I would agree that earthtones are the colors of reality. And I use them in
my  buildings when I can but I confess that for reasons of expense I do
build in primaries as well. I would refer you to my ISCC entry which had 4
buildings, a shed and a leanto, the buildings were yellow and gray, red and
grey, tan and white... if I had had more earthtones at the time I would have
used more.

I've just gotten 4 more Yodas so expect to see quite a bit more tan from me.
And some rust too of course. Earthtones are getting more common but they're
still hard to come by.