 Town / 5270
Re: 4 new MOCs: Ford Econoline, an SUV, Lincoln Towncar, Minivan
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 13:55:02 GMT

Sean:

Sean Devolites wrote:
Great job Sean!  I like the Town car the best, but the grafitti on the
cargo van is a great detail. Can't wait to see other cars put out

Thanks!  If you'd like to see some of my other cars (and haven't already),
you can go "up" one level in brickshelf.
(http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=3718)  ... I have lots of
things like taxi cabs, police, fire & rescue, buses, a FedEx van, etc.

speaking of which, about how long did it take you to build these?

The cars take me varied amounts of time to build.  The towncar didn't take
very long at all, since it's the same shape and size as some of my other
"large sedan" cars... like my police cruiser (Chevy Impala) and my taxi cabs
(Ford Crown Victoria).  The major differences between the three are really
just the cosmetic aspects of the front and rear. (Bumpers, headlights,
grills, etc). The minivan took me a while, since I rebuilt it about 10
times.  And the SUV was constantly being tinkered with.  Overall, the 4 of
them probably took about 6 hours, on-and-off over the course of 2 days or so.

Here's my method for building cars ... First, to get the overall shape and
scale to my liking, I start by making a really rough version of the car,
with big bricks and plates.  I don't worry about details like windows,
headlights, bumpers, or anything.  Then when I'm happy with the shape, I
hold it up, and say to myself "okay, what details do I want to add, and
where should they go?"  I then pop off a chunk and replace it with something
more detailed.  For example, I might pop off a 1x4 brick on the front and
replace it with some smaller pieces that represent the headlights, grille,
and bumper.  I continue doing this until I have a "finished product" that
I'm happy with.

Does anybody else use this approach?  I'm curious what other ways people do
things...

Sean
---
The Brick Apple: New York City in Lego