 Town / 339
Re: Ponte Vecchio - Elevated Road Bridge Over Rail
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 19:12:03 GMT

Thanks, Gary, for the interesting bits about the bridge in Florence. (Got to
get my cities straight.) I also looked at Eric J's pictures, neato.

I'm going to start a "journal" format web page for this project. The first two
pictures are at http://www.inch.com/~olsone/ponte/ponte.html

This prototype is a ramp that rises 1 plate per stud. A 32x32 roadplate rises
10 bricks in this format and is anchored at the top in a plate and hinge
sandwich. The ramp is supported underneath by those "arrowhead" Technic beams
that stack to give 4 studs each of rise and 4 studs of run, with a perfectly
smooth angled top. I posted one of these pieces in the foreground as an
illustration.

The shops' "foundation" is a stairstep of 1x4 plates with 2 1x1 plates inserted
between. (Think of it as a stair of 1x4 bricks with 1 stud of overlap, then
carve down the brick wherever possible.) The shops are built on this awkward
footing and march down the hill. The foundation is anchored only by a Technic
peg at the bottom.

I plan to scan my drawings of various approaches. Instead of the 1x4 unit which
yields many useless 3 stud wide platforms in the shops, I've decided now on a
sloping building based on 1x6 units. It also rises 1 plate per stud. The floor
will be a stair of black 6x8 plates, overlapping by 1 stud, with 4 extra plates
inserted for rise. That way, a 4x door or window unit can be placed.

The grade I have chosen is a little steep for vehicles (certainly far steeper
than real life) but it is necessary if the central bridge is to give enough
clearance, while keeping the total size manageable.

Eventually, there will be sloping 2 story buildings on both sides of the
street, on the flat central bridge, and a ramp on the other side. Trains will
fit under the central bridge (if I have to raise the whole thing to do it.)
There will be a movie theatre, grocery store, pub, restaurant and outdoor cafe,
and a stairway to the railway platform at ground level.

The ramp was inspired by the new City Center road ramps.

Trivia: in real life, the corner shop is a barber shop, and Rodney Dangerfield
grew up in the apartment above it. I figure to install Timmy there.