 Town / 334
Re: Ponte Vecchio - Elevated Road Bridge Over Rail
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 20:42:40 GMT

In lugnet.town, Gary R. Istok writes:

The Ponte Vecchio bridge is very interesting because
on top of the bridge are 2 galleries,  the lower gallery consists of shops and
stores, and the upper gallery is known the Vasari Corridor that connects the
Uffizi
Gallery (Palace)on one side of the bridge with the Pitti Palace on the other
side.

Err.  I think it's a bit far from the Pitti, if memory serves.  And I'm not so
sure it (presently) connects to the Uffizi.

Today this upper corridor is used as a picture gallery (on a bridge!).

If so, it's not open to the public, or part of the Uffizi Museum.

The bridge
was built in 1345, and is the first segmented arch bridge built in the West.
It
was also the only bridge over the River Arno that was not destroyed by the
retreating Germans in World War II.

The anecdote I heard was that the commanding officer was an architechture buff,
and disobeyed orders so as not to destroy it.  He did, however, render it
unusable by blowing the connections to the Arno's banks, so it was standing
free in the river.

eric