 Town / 2370
2369  |  2371
Subject:
My unfinished town diorama
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 19:24:11 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Well, it's the 15th and my town contest entry is not completed- other
obligations have gotten in the way the past week or two.  Here are some
pics for your enjoyment:

The big unfinished red building near the train tracks is the station.
I'm most pleased with how the parking lot came out in this one.  I'm
thinking of redoing this structure with some new ideas.

Next to the station we have a post office.  This is one of my favorite
buildings so far.  The post office shares a platform with the train
station.

Across the street from these two buildings we have a movie theater.  If
you look closely on the left hand side of the building you can see that
a film about soccer is coming out in 'summer 2000'.

The large gray building is a department store. While the building
directly across from that is a bike shop with an apartment above.  Other
buildings that are this street include a flower shop, a corner diner, a
coffee shop, hardware store, some small offices, and a laundrymat.
There's still an empty lot to fill next to the theater.

Some notes about the project:
-I think there are over 100 white 2x2 windows in the town, I still have
a lot more to add to finish this.  Thanks Lego Direct!
-the sidewalks are two plates high and include vents and curb drains.
thanks to the guy who made the brickapple for the ideas for the drains.
-some of the track is ballasted with the 1x1 plate technique i described
a month ago in .trains.
-it was originally designed to be modular, most of the shopping side can
still be taken apart into small sections.  The side with the train
station is pretty much stuck together though.  when i build tables this
spring I plan i rebuilding the town into a more modular fashion.
-most of the building interiors were done by my wife martha- i really
like her coffee shop.

One of the goals of this project was to create the feel of a small city
or large town.  How does it look so far?

Thanks to all the lego towns and their creators who have inspired this
ongoing project.

-chris