 Town / 2163
Re: no new town sets in 2001??? :-(
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 16:13:54 GMT

There are only two possibilities I can imagine for the return of Lego town.
Along the SWAT team theory, probably the Alpha Team sets are going to be
"the town sets" for 2001.  Another possibility, and although it is a long
shot, is that Lego realized the mistake of Town Jr.  It would be wonderful
to have town sets with regular pieces, but with a more modern look to them.

While I don't really mind Alpha Team - they are all pretty unique but still
too juniorized.....(especially red top dude - he is very unique and unusual)
I like the "concept" of Alpha Team, what I don't like is the balance of
vehicle vs. buildings.

While they made the Ogle's pretty generic, 2 people - Ogle soldier and
Ogle commander (driving his small space craft)
Alpha Team they each drive a different vehicle, and each person has their
own identity....not a bad concept at all.

But again to illustrate the inbalance Alpha Team has no "base" and Ogle's
have no fire power to fend off the Alpha Team.  This isn't a fair fight...
so to speak.  I'm sure that next years line up we will see more ogle
vehicles and a nice looking base for Alpha team, but right now....I
would say it is typical marketing mistakes for TLG to do....and a real
good reason for the troubles they are in........

The bottom line is that Alpha team is a real bad replacement for Town, and
in my opinion so is the Studio line...it isn't bad by itself (its not
terribly good, either), just not terribly compatible with the rest of the
town sets.