 Technic / Bionicle / 941
Re: Loose joints
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 21:11:21 GMT

The 24-tooth gears on the Toa have this neat feature: one side
has 4 or 8 little bumps that stick out slightly.  If you put the
gear on the back of the Toa with the bumps facing the body,
they will cause it to stick a bit (like a click hinge),
and help hold an arm in place.  If you put the gear on the other
way, it spins freely.
On my u:ber-Toa (pictures to follow one of these days), I put a
attached a rubber band from the top of the arm/shoulder (using a
1x3 axle to hold it in place) to a peg on the lower back.  Now
if I move the arm with the gear and let go, the arm swings back
into the original position, making it a little more fun to
move and allowing it to hold position when just standing there.

-gyug, who was really hoping the heads would have had some compact
ball-and-socket connection, like the old maxifig hands, only in
the larger slizer-arm-ball size.

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, David Wertz writes:
The ball joints are supposed to have a lot of
friction, and mine still do, but I have to create friction in the gear
mechanisms for the arm movements myself.  So, yes, this is normal for
technic products.  If your Toa arms were sticking when you first constructed
them, it was probably because you had induced some friction by slightly
misaligning or overtightening some peices in the gear mechanism.  If you
want this effect again, just tweak the parts a little to regain this
friction.  It already sounds like you figured this out, but yes, in my
opinion, this is normal.