 Technic / Bionicle / 936
Re: Loose joints
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 15:33:50 GMT

Most noticable is the figures with large weapons (like swords and axes).
They are no longer able to hold the weapon in the air on their own without
some manual tightening of the parts.  They tend to just fall to the ground
due to gravity.  I miss that "right out the can" tightness I used to have.

Mine never had this "right out of the can" tightness.  In fact, in order to
get the arms with large weapons to stay in any position other than hanging
straight down, I would have to do some tweaking of some of the parts
involved with the gear mechanism and stuff in order to induce enough
friction to make them stick.  But, this is exactly what I expect.  Technic
parts are precision made so that moving parts move freely with as little
friction as possible.  The only way I could get my Toa arms to gain some
friction was to tighten and slightly move parts in order to bind these
free-moving mechanisms.  The ball joints are supposed to have a lot of
friction, and mine still do, but I have to create friction in the gear
mechanisms for the arm movements myself.  So, yes, this is normal for
technic products.  If your Toa arms were sticking when you first constructed
them, it was probably because you had induced some friction by slightly
misaligning or overtightening some peices in the gear mechanism.  If you
want this effect again, just tweak the parts a little to regain this
friction.  It already sounds like you figured this out, but yes, in my
opinion, this is normal.