 Technic / Bionicle / 793
792  |  794
Subject:
Comment about Bionickle Colors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 19:01:59 GMT

Hey Y'all:

Okay, so once I finally saw one of these Bionickle cannisters cracked open
and strewn about the shelf of a local store I got curious to own one.  Some
of the parts did actually look interesting in terms of expanding my teeny
collection of Throwbot stuff.  Of the few unopened containers I could choose
from, I decided to pick up "Onua."

If you look not too closely at the container, the Onua pictured seems to be
some kind of cool silverish metallic color -- but you know what?  Onua is
merely mostly black with some dark grey in the mix.  What the heck is that
about?  I never would have imagined his color was mostly black from the
image on the container.  If I see a metallic color on the packaging of the
product, I damn well want to see metallic colors within!  I thought only
MegaBloks was getting this kind of color thing wrong -- but no, I see that
TLC has chosen to play just as sleazy when it comes to colors on the
packaging.  What a let down...

Otherwise, here is what I have to say.  The claws are kinda cool. I like the
new feet.  The masks are interesting, the base heads are atrocious.  If it
is possible to make it easier than what was done with the Throwbots, these
sets are even more juniorized somehow -- for example the torso, while I like
its design, it is but one large element.  Also, if you build this kit
according to the supplied instructions, your resulting figure cannot adopt
the posture pictured on the box for two reasons: the head doesn't tilt
unless you place it on the end of the axle that causes the arms to swing to
and fro, AND...

...the legs pictured on the container are not the same legs as supplied with
the set!!!

Check it out for yourself.  The legs pictured on the packaging are bent at
something like 90 degrees, which is either a prototype element or TLC taking
liberties with digital imaging, the legs that come with the set are only
very slightly bent.  I REALLY hate this kind of thing -- it smacks of false
advertising.  It's okay I suppose to use creative lighting to show off a
design, but this goes too far -- what is on the container is NOT what you
get inside, it's close but not quite the same item. Blech...!

On a scale of 1-10: I give this set a 2.  It basically just sucks, believe
me! It's not worth half the price.

Even so, I'll try and end on a positive note: there is a small black ball
that comes with other sets (as pictured in the super-bionickle instructions
section of the pamphlet) that looks like it could be used to make a socket
joint attachment, and with a technic crossed peg element one could then
attach the whole to any kinds of  constructions one wished.  New types of
elements that hinge, swivel, and turn are always welcome. Can anyone confirm
that the element works as I surmise it does?

-- Hop-Frog (not buying a lot of these sets except maybe at deep discount,
and maybe not even then)