 Technic / Bionicle / 797
Re: Comment about Bionickle Colors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 08:42:29 GMT

I have infact made Lvl 2 Toas, most featureiong articulated necks similar to
those you described(but with STF flair). I should be able to get some pics
of them for u all to see very soon...just hang on

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, Ray Kremer writes:
...the legs pictured on the container are not the same legs as supplied with
the set!!!
Check it out for yourself.  The legs pictured on the packaging are bent at
something like 90 degrees, which is either a prototype element or TLC taking
liberties with digital imaging, the legs that come with the set are only
very slightly bent.  I REALLY hate this kind of thing -- it smacks of false
advertising.  It's okay I suppose to use creative lighting to show off a
design, but this goes too far -- what is on the container is NOT what you
get inside, it's close but not quite the same item. Blech...!

In the CGI movies Lego made of the Toa the CG models have a lot more joints
than the actual toys do.  I think the same models were used to make the
package pictures.  It seems reasonable to me, to get the arms and legs to
actually be fexible like that they'd have to be made out of cheap flexible
plastic or have some kind of flimsy hinge.  Still, it would be cool if the
heads could rotate without pulling them off the axel and putting them back on.

Even so, I'll try and end on a positive note: there is a small black ball
that comes with other sets (as pictured in the super-bionickle instructions
section of the pamphlet) that looks like it could be used to make a socket
joint attachment, and with a technic crossed peg element one could then
attach the whole to any kinds of  constructions one wished.  New types of
elements that hinge, swivel, and turn are always welcome. Can anyone confirm
that the element works as I surmise it does?

Yeah, propably the only thing the Technic purists like about the Throwbot line
is that it inspired the ball and socket pieces.  Several people bought
throwbots just to cut the ball and axel thing off the throw arms for use
elsewhere.