 Technic / Bionicle / 536
Re: Bionicle article - New Zealand News
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 03:22:14 GMT

I agree, I mean Bionicle, copyright it, but Why bother with the names....I
mean, You dont see us sueing a Japanese company(Takara) for using teh Names
Arthur and Walt for using our names...Now when teh Copy Right them, now its
annoying....So lets hope this doesnt gett needlesly insane, cause if
Bionicle is canceled over THIS! man will i raise some hell...

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, Ian Constable writes:
Here is my opinion on this matter.  Lego should be able to keep the products on
store shelves under the original names.  A language is a language, whether it be
English, German, Esperanto, or Maori.  Lego should not, however, copyright the
names of the products, i.e. Tahu, Rahi, Matau, etc.  Of course I might have room to
change my opinion if I find out what these names mean in Maori.  Here in the U.S.
we have companies named after everyday objects, i.e. Apple Computer.  And they were
almost sued by Apple Corp, a music company, when they produced the Apple CD audio
player.  I do not see why Maori should get special treatment.
Just a ramble.
Ian

Matthew Gerber wrote:

Christina,

We touched on this a while ago
(http://news.lugnet.com/technic/bionicle/?n=352
http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=29495), but since these articles are new,
we won't feed you to the Nui Rama...

I particularly like the phrase from the New Zealand paper's coverage, where
the Maori accuse LEGO of "cultural and linguistic piracy". I'm envisioning a
couple of Red-Beard Runners bearing down on little Maori native huts..."Har!
Give us your language, cullys, an' no one'll get hurt!"

Matt