 Technic / Bionicle / 538
Re: Bionicle article - New Zealand News
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 03:27:46 GMT

Sadly it's all made necessary by legal matters and the bad experiences that
gave rise to them.  The point of copywrites is so that some other company can't
make a cheap knock-off and sell it to people who think they're buying the
original.  That's not such a danger in the case of Bionicle toys, but standard
operating procedure is to copywrite everything you sell, just to be safe and
because doing it on a case by case basis would be too much effort.  I'm told
that the reason Intel used the name Pentium is because the judge wouldn't let
them copywrite "586", which is after all just a number.  But in the context of
"Intel 586 CPU" it is a definate product belonging to Intel, and it would need
to have protection against others imitating it.

So yeah, the whole situation is stupid but it couldn't really go any other way.

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, Ian Constable writes:
Here is my opinion on this matter.  Lego should be able to keep the products • on
store shelves under the original names.  A language is a language, whether it • be
English, German, Esperanto, or Maori.  Lego should not, however, copyright the
names of the products, i.e. Tahu, Rahi, Matau, etc.  Of course I might have • room to
change my opinion if I find out what these names mean in Maori.  Here in the • U.S.
we have companies named after everyday objects, i.e. Apple Computer.  And they • were
almost sued by Apple Corp, a music company, when they produced the Apple CD • audio
player.  I do not see why Maori should get special treatment.
Just a ramble.
Ian